Pages

Why a blog?

This is my first time to ever do anything like this so please bare with me. I decided to start a blog mostly for myself. I wanted to keep track of all the crazy things that go on in our house on a daily basis. I also thought this would be good for my soul and keep me smiling and laughing even when I feel defeated by my littles at the end of the day. I'm sure there are a lot of blogs out there similar to this one and it may just bore people but that's alright. This is us, me and my littles!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rota what?!

I can't say I'm sad to see February go. Although it's the shortest month it seemed to drag on! I'm welcoming March with open arms and looking forward to spring. These past couple weeks have been challenging to say the least. Our home seems to of been under attack! 


Last week BJ and I were woken up by the sound of Jude throwing up. These poor little people just have no way of warning you that it's coming till it's already gone. She continued to throw up every couple hours and by the time morning came we had gone through every sheet, blanket, towel, etc. and her room was a disaster! I took her into the doctor that morning and she seemed to be getting worse by the minutes. She was in and out of sleep and would only wake up to vomit. Her poor little lips were so cracked and her face was pale. She slept on me the whole time we waited to see the doctor, something she rarely does anymore since she's so big and independent now. :(
Sitting in the waiting room

At the Doctors office
When we finally saw the doctor (Alice wait time is AT least 3 hours :/) he said that she was extremely dehydrated and needed some fluids right away and the best way to give her that was through an IV. I knew where this was going since this would not be our first time to have a child be admitted to the hospital. We did all the paper work and headed over to Christus Spohn in Alice. Why there you may wonder? That is the closest hospital to where we live and the one that our pediatrician can see patients at. Although he's not in the best area or town ( sorry Abby!! You know I love Alice!) he's a very good doctor. ANYWAY,  when we finally got there we had to wait at least 3 hours for a room to open up since the pediatric wing was full. In the mean time they took her blood and did a few tests. Finally our room was ready! They came in to do her IV, the part I dread the most, and she was so dehydrated that it took them several times of trying, with a break in between to give her time to calm down, and then they finally got it. That was extremely painful to watch. We had to hold her down and she was just screaming at us with fear in her eyes. AH, I hate that!!
Asleep in her "baby cage"
Her hospital food
We really thought she would get some fluids in her and be back to normal the next day but that wasn't the case. Once her vomiting stopped, the diarrhea came...and it never stopped! I will spare you the rest but they did some more tests and found out she had Rotavirus. This is an infection in small children, usually under the age of 2, and it's a nasty thing!! It lasts for days and is very contagious. Her 1 night stay ended up being 4 nights and 5 days. BJ and I had to take turns staying with her so the other could see the big littles. It was emotionally draining and tiring on us all. Jude had her good and bad days but for the most part did alright.
Her poor little hand where they tried to get an IV in :(




    
On a bad day             
On a good day :)
Day before going home!
The day before she was released BJ was with the girls at home and he started to feel sick. Adults rarely get the Rotavirus but if they do it's usually not as extreme or intense as the younger ones, although it can be! Well, he ended up getting something similar and we had to have the girls stay with our "family" out here and thank GOD for them (Shea Shea and Nana T)!! By this point I was SO over staying at the hospital and I felt so helpless and defeated. BJ was sick, the girls weren't with either one of us and I was just praying they didn't get this as well. We finally went home on Sunday and as soon as we walked outside those hospital doors, Jude perked right up and was ready to go!! She has been fine ever since, Praise God!!
RV park over looking the lake
Spring flowers
The next morning we went on a walk and I was SO excited to be home and to start getting things back to normal! Zephyr had never looked so gorgeous!

About 3 hours later Beau started throwing up...sigh.
My sweet Beau Beaus
I couldn't believe it! This sickness seemed never ending! I felt like our whole lives were on hold. BJ had it, I had a mild version of it and now Beau?! Needless to say, it's been a LONG week. We had to cancel all of our usual stuff during the week and have basically been on lock down here at the house. Now that I see how brutal and nasty this virus is, I would hate if any other kids got this! Beau is still not back to normal but is getting there and hopefully will be 100% by Monday. My mood has been...fun...notice the sarcasm and I finally forced myself to get ready and do my make up yesterday hoping that would boost my spirits, nah. 
Bella was the only one that seemed to of not gotten it...until this morning! You may be wondering why I'm blogging at 5:30 in the morning! This is not normal for me. She came in around 5 and was sick to her stomach. After a bath, load of laundry (and again, I'll spare the gross details) she fell asleep on the couch so I decided to blog since I couldn't go back to sleep.

I know this too shall pass and things could be SO MUCH worse and I'm so very grateful for that. I realize I sound like a "Debby Downer" and you're probably asking yourself "Why am I reading this??" and I apologize for that. I guess I just needed to vent so thank you for letting me do that! I'm continuing to pray for healing, strength and patience through this whole thing. God is good and in control and I'm so glad He's on our side! :)
Sick littles

1 comment:

  1. Fari, you are such a GOOD writer! So clear, funny, heartfelt.... I am glad that things are going better for you & I think this is a wonderful way for you to release your frustrations.
    Love you lots! You are a WONDERFUL mom!!!

    ReplyDelete